Carolin is a PhD student at the UK Dementia Research Institute. She has a BSc in Biomedical Science from the University of East London and joined the team as a research assistant funded by the Bluefield Project in 2016. She set up the GENFI Biobank and co-ordinated the transfer of biosamples from other sites to UCL. She started a PhD in 2018, investigating novel biomarkers in FTD, spending her time between the Biomarker Lab at the UK DRI and the Mass Spectrometry Lab at the UCL Institute of Child Health. Her work on plasma GFAP concentrations in the GENFI cohort was awarded the 2019 FTD UK Early Career Researcher Clinical Science Prize.
- FTD UK 9th Annual Meeting (Cambridge, October 2019): Plasma glial fibrillary acidic protein is raised in progranulin-associated frontotemporal dementia
- 11th ICFTD (Sydney, November 2018): Plasma GFAP levels are increased in symptomatic FTD mutation carriers within the GENFI cohort
- EMBO Practical Course – Quantitative proteomics (Heidelberg, June 2018): In search of novel biomarkers of frontotemporal dementia – developing a hypothalamic peptide panel
- AAIC 2017 (London, July 2017): Measurement of CSF hypothalamic peptides in frontotemporal dementia
- Plasma glial fibrillary acidic protein and neurofilament light chain are measures of disease severity in semantic variant primary progressive aphasia. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2020 (Epub ahead of Print).
- Plasma glial fibrillary acidic protein is raised in progranulin-associated frontotemporal dementia. Heller C, Foiani M, Moore KM, Convery R, Bocchetta M, Neason M, Cash DM, Thomas DL, Greaves CV, Woollacott IOC, Shafei R, van Swieten J, Moreno F, Sanchez-Valle R, Borroni B, Laforce Jr R, Masellis M, Tartaglia MC, Graff C, Galimberti D, Rowe JB, Finger E, Synofzik M, Vandenberghe R, de Mendonça A, Tagliavini F, Santana I, Ducharme S, Butler C, Gerhard A, Levin J, Danek A, Frisoni GB, Sorbi S, Otto M, Heslegrave A, Zetterberg H, Rohrer JD, on behalf of GENFI. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2020;91(3):263-270.